Wednesday, October 10, 2012

On Faith, Fire, and the Kingdom of God

I'm honored to be guest-posting for my friend Brandon Andress over at Outside the Walls today. I'm talking through my own personal struggle with having the life that I lead line up with the words that I speak.

For me, [talk is] especially cheap. Words and ideas are my job, my hobby, my life, but you know what? They don’t cost me anything. I can talk myself into a corner and talk myself right back out again without ever putting any real skin into the game.
There’s a story in 2 Samuel where God directs David to build an altar and make a sacrifice. A citizen offers to give David wood and oxen for his sacrifice, but David replies with what has become another (unfortunately) common cliché:
   “I will not sacrifice to the Lord my God offerings that cost me nothing.”
These words, these ideas, these silver-tongued pleas for justice spoken from the comfortable confines of the high hill of privilege, are the sacrifices that cost me nothing, and they seem to burn hottest when fueled by my own righteous indignation.

Click through to read the rest here, and be sure to explore the rest of Brandon's writing if you haven't before.  You won't be disappointed.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...